Autumn On The EB

Autumn On The EB

Tuesday, August 21, 2018

Needhami, Starling And Olive, Summer Food And Booking This Fall

Needhami Flies

If you plan on hitting the Farmie soon you want a bunch of Needhami duns and spinners in sizes 20 through 26. That's basically all I used on that river two weeks ago. This insect is of a chocolate brown color and a grey poly wing works best. I also dump the trailing fiber shuck and tie in a single strand of midge flash. Also, the body is made of brown thread and a thorax of fine synthetic dubbing.

Somehow this fly is called a tiny hendrickson in some quarters!!


Starling And Olive

BWO season is right around the corner!! It is the premier autumn hatch on the Millers overshadowing the pumpkin caddis, if not in sheer numbers then by trout interest. Before you start tossing dries drift a size 18 Starling and Olive soft hackle. It's the perfect emerger pattern for this insect in size, shape and color. Starling is cheap material but easily broken so go slowly.


Summer Cooking


I love to flyfish and I love to cook and summer means grilling and smoking. A week ago I did a pork shoulder in the smoker dry rubbed with salt, pepper and cayenne pepper. Tonight the skewers were loaded up with pork, mushrooms, plum tomato wedges, cut up bell peppers (the last two ingredients from my garden) and some tiny new potatoes. Give this a slight spray of olive oil and then a liberal amount of black pepper.  All of this ended up on the charcoal as did two ears of corn with the husks left on!!!! 



Fall Dates

Plenty of water, plenty of interest, the calendar is filling up, don't get left out.


Ken






13 comments:

Lenny said...

Ken, there’s no other way to cook corn. They steam to perfection!!!

Lenny

Hibernation said...

Ken, that's a tasty looking feast!

Wholly swift night. Basically had the river to myself all evening -from 3PM on. one other guy came up, a young man who was around 20 and headed to college in NY, if you read this, pleasure fishing with you.

Last time I was there I'd done well with a short quick (2-3" quick strips, not stopping) retrieve of a sulfur emerger - brown "shuck", brown thread body, and some light ginger hen hackle palmered in between little bubbles of pale yellow dubbing at the thorax. Last time the only one I had was a 16. I did up a few more in a 22 the other night. I'm going to guess I caught that many rainbow's on the same approach last night. It was insane! Opted to go to a big ant on the way out, and with a #10 3Xl foam ant (Han's VanKlinken's pattern from the latest "Fly Tyer" mag) I got several more fishing back to the bridge.

Still a ton of hikers and what not, but overall, cool dry air, fish clearing the water to eat "real" emergers, and then boiling and running hard after emerger flies... Really fun evening!

You may want to consider that little fly or something similar for clients, it was awesome :)

Mike C said...

Corn grilled in its husk is my favorite way to cook corn.

Anonymous said...

Nice ties and advise. I will put down my Nymph Rod and give these a try!

Mark said...

Ken do you feel that the starling makes that much of a difference instead of partridge? I break the starling too often.

Sam said...

Good looking flies and delicious looking chow, Ken. I use my grill all year, but this time of year is especially good with what comes out of the garden and gets into the grilling. I have had a good year fishing and the garden is producing like crazy too.

Not much action at Bondsville two nights ago. A few brook trout were hitting on top, a few coming fully out of the water chasing bugs. I tossed some flies into their zone, but they wanted no part of my offerings.

Heading out I dead drifted a black wooly bugger in a fast moving pocket zone and connected with a nice brown, but it was long distance released. Once in a while those dead drifted buggers get good action though I am not sure what the trout think they are.

Best, Sam

Millers River Flyfisher said...

Sam,

If I had one fly left and it was a catch fish or starve situation I'd want a wooley Bugger.

Mark,

I like starling because the feather is smaller and is naturally darker. Makes a great size 18.

Will,

Thank you!

Glad we have some corn lovers. It's been a great year for tomatoes and peppers also!

Ken

Anonymous said...

VERY SAD.....PETE AND HENRY'S IS ON FIRE AS I WRITE THIS11111

Anonymous said...

PETE AND HENRY'S IS ON FIRE AS I WRITE THIS....

HOPE THEY SAVE IT !!!

Dave P said...

Hands down the tastiest way to do corn! I soak the raw ears in water for 30 minutes to two hours before cooking them. It keeps them fresh, reduces burning of the husks, and increases the steam inside the husk. Delicious!

I notice that flows on both the Millers and the Westfield have gone up today. Did it rain out there?

Cheers,
David

Millers River Flyfisher said...

R.I.P. Pete & Henrys.

David,
We had a good rain Wednesday morning which pushed the gauges up. The EB should be fishable this weekend.

Ken

DRL said...

I was lucky enough to catch the EB at 700ish Tuesday night and only saw one other fisherman the whole evening. Nothing from hours of diligent nymphing and wet stuff. Covered lots of water. Zero surface activity or fish showing. Put on a big dry caddis at 6:45 anticipating dusk surface blitz. Got two strong healthy fish (Brown 15, Bow 18) in 20 minutes blind casting into fast/rough water. Fished until full dark, went home happy, but never did see any surface activity besides the two takes on my dry. Weird summer night.

Millers River Flyfisher said...

DRL,

That river has had it's ups and downs this summer. 700 cfs is high for dry fly work bur you got it done!!!

Ken