Autumn On The EB

Autumn On The EB

Wednesday, August 8, 2018

Three Days On The Farmington, Book Ma. Rivers This Fall



" All trout rivers have elements that are the same as any other trout river. Some sections are a hundred feet long and across. Some only 20 feet long and across. Some are less. We seem to gravitate to the bigger rivers when we should learn to fish the smaller rivers."  ME


I just spent three days camping on the Farmington River and working some of it's "famous" pools and some of the "not so famous" pools/runs. It was a good time!

First off, I'm getting a bit "long in the tooth" to be thinking of sleeping on the hard,cold ground but a good air mattress (I wasn't on "the trail" where an air mattress was impractical) but in a campground with lots of space and had a good sleeping bag. I lived the John Gierach life for three days and it was fun. Being woken up at 5:00 am to birdsong is wonderful and camp breakfast, although spartan, fit the bill.

Where I went -

Name it, Greenwoods, Spare Tire, Central Riffles, Church and above BUT center stage went to the Campground Pool. It became my favorite in 2003 because of a massive ant fall (any pool would of worked that 3 day stretch) and a perfect dawn in 2008 when a size 22 olive emerger ruled the early morning and the evening and on numerous seasons before and after. It's my favorite spot on the river, populated from 10 am to 5pm and fairly empty before and after that.
If you want a full blown book on this river then buy "A Guide To Fishing The Farmington River" And Buy It At Upcountry Fly Shop in New Hartford Ct. I tell you where I do well but they tell you everything that I don't know unlike other online sites.


I took dozens of fish here with only the first being on a subsurface fly. Everything else was taken on size 24 sulphurs, size 24 Neddhami's and as it got dark a size 14 light comparadun. Most were 12 to 16 inches, good for rising fish, with one brute hitting 18 inches. I wasn't looking for a "feed a family of four fish" but just steady action to good fish, like 3rd round NFL draft picks. We all like 3rd round draft picks!!!!!

I spend far less time than I should fishing here. I live only 45 minutes away. Note to self: fish here more this Fall!!!!

I'm booking up this Fall and also these August evenings.  Don't wait.  Any email does it.

Ken











7 comments:

Sam said...

Sounds like great action on the Farmington. I love that river and time doesn't allow me to fish it nearly enough. It is well managed by the DFW in Connecticut, and loved by fly fishermen from around our parts and well beyond. I am glad you had the good action, Ken. You will figure out how to connect most any place you go I believe.

Anonymous said...

Glad you had a good time. Guess I need to be fishing much smaller flies as I have had lots of refusals these past few weeks with 16's and 6X. Just don't enjoy fishing that really small stuff, and tying it on...whew! Lots of Waxwings working the other night, but couldn't see what they were taking except for the occasional sulfur.

Millers River Flyfisher said...

Sam,

I'm not a bucket lister for sure. I like local rivers, within 30 miles of me and I like to learn EVERY thing about them. That is the perfect situation for me and from your comments over the years it's the same for you.Let's keep doing what we're doing and we will have tales to tell. We are local guys, fishing local streams and getting it done!!!

Ken

Sam said...

I am not a bucket list guy either, Ken. I am satisfied where I fish in the local vicinity. Speaking of local, a close friend of our family asked me to take a youngster fishing after I was done working today. We hit what I know best and action was slow, but the youngster I was fishing with never complained and kept casting.

I came across a rising trout amongst tree branches and put the youngster on to it. How he put the fly into that narrow zone, connected and netted that trout is beyond me. I could not have been happier though. He was plenty thrilled too.




Millers River Flyfisher said...

Sam,

The kid sounds like a "natural". Glad that you got to experience that!

Anonymous 7:10,

Were you fishing the Farmington? I ended an evening down there by landing a couple of browns on a #14 comparadun which I could see in the fading light. I caught some but had a TON of "No Thank You" risers.

Ken

Anonymous said...

Yep, but above campground in a secondary pool/riffle. Guess that all the refusals make it fishing and not just catching!!
Anonymous 7:10

Millers River Flyfisher said...

Anonymous 7:10,

Yeah, Hawes Pool! A good place!

Ken