Autumn On The EB

Autumn On The EB

Tuesday, October 1, 2019

Beadheads Or Split Shot (The Deerfield was stocked 10/2, Millers to be stocked 10/4. See Comments

Ken, Based on your blog, I finally purchased a starling skin. What a difference tying the smaller soft hackles. Loving it, and I think the fish will too! Thank you for your advice. Truly appreciate this column. There's always a tidbit to be read that makes my fishing adventure enjoyable. - Bob O



Scuds - to bead or not to bead

A funny thing happened over the last few years- I pretty much stopped using beadhead flies except for a small stash of  bead head buggers that I seldom use. I moved over to using split shot, especially mico shot when I needed to get the required depth and velocity I wanted on that fly.

A new technique??  Hardly!!  Let's explore some fly fishing history.  Backcast to the 1970's into the 80's. There were basically two ways to get a fly  down. One was to wrap lead around the the hook when tying the fly. It was effective in doing that and it was also effective in adding a real harmful toxin into the environment that also includes your tying bench.  It also, because of its bulk, distorted the shape of some flies.

Lead stayed around until beads, of all sorts, stole the thunder.  Lead is still out there but not like before.  Split shot was in use for those of us who would HIGH STICK without knowing that we were high sticking. We were just fishing nymphs on a short line, with a split shot about 5 inches above an unweighted fly and we caught a lot of trout.  Most of the time we were fishing at a 15 foot distance and many times even closer.  In short, split shot worked great.  Why was that?

An unweighted fly, 5 or so inches below the right amount of shot, is a very active critter, much more than a bead head which because of it's weight has only a jig like, up and down motion.  The unweighted fly below a split shot darts, sinks, dips and glides around.  Trout like that!!

Don't buy the story that it's harder to hook trout with split shot.  It's not true.  You will get subtle hits and vicious hits and you will feel them all and since you will be fishing a shorter line you will put more fish in the net.

The neat thing is that changing your strategy is a snap with split shot.  Let's say that you are fishing a nymph under shot when you think that putting the fly higher in the water column would be good.  Just dump the split shot and fish the fly unweighted.  No changing flies AND you may not have the reason to carry so many flies any longer (you don't need as many bead heads)

Back in the 80's my buggers were unweighted but I had plenty of split shot.

Stocking Update

As of early this Tuesday morning (10/1) the only river stocked in the State has been the Squannacook River in Townsend, Groton and Shirley.  The flow rate for the Squannacook is a whopping  8.6 cfs  (just kidding, 8.6 is LOW) while the decades long average for today is about 20 cfs.  There are other rivers with comparable numbers so maybe they will get fish too.

We have been hit with bone dry Autumns of  three of the last four years.  I've never seen this condition in so many back to back seasons as I have lately.  Still denying climate change????

Your Comments

The quote at the top is from Bob O, a longtime reader of this blog.  He, like many, will dispense timely advice and it is well appreciated.  As I've said before the Comments Section of this blog is a "blog within a blog".

Not all comments are legitimate.  I had one individual who would try to bury me in comments about the big fish he would catch in the Swift and how he would feel threatened by other fly fishers. He seemed phony so he got banned from this blog.  Back he comes with a new alias and the same writing style that included some very strong words about some good Swift regulars. Banned again.  Another alias  with some strong words followed.  He even tried to start his own blog (it sank without a trace),  I don't know where he is because I haven't heard from him since late last winter.  Maybe he's infected another blog.

Ken


23 comments:

Pat said...

Ponds/Lakes at the cape were stocked per usual. They stock the east early and late with tons of fish. Per usual the western part of the state foots part of the bill and benefits the least. This state needs to take a page out of CT's book. There's no reason for me to drive to rivers with 8 CFS when I can fish the farmy at a nice controlled flow and get there in less time than most MA rivers and fish to actively feeding fish. If they used knightville and littleville like colebrook and hogsback we could have the same fishery. It is swift or bust right now.

Millers River Flyfisher said...

Pat,

1. Ponds/lakes have been stocked in central Ma also.

2. There's a drought in Connecticut too. Check the USGS map for CT. It's the Farmington or bust down in CT. too!!

3. Knightville is not and never will be a tailwater. It's a flood control facility that doesn't have the depth or volume to stratify the temperatures! It's bone dry most of the summer.

4. Littleville has the capability of being a tailwater but it is very small with a very tiny and short run to the main stem of the Westfield. It's not worth it. I heard that the only person who would know how to run it is very deep into retirement.

I would take the 20 minute drive to the Swift any day!!

Ken

Anonymous said...

It's micro shot for me

GW

DRL said...

Hi Ken,
I've had a couple of heavenly warm fall days on the Nisitissit. I saw that it had been stocked last week and headed out yesterday/today. Caught big bows (15-16") on dries that fought like lions, were very picky about fly selection (BWO), and were bright maple red. Wouldn't touch hoppers,ants, caddis, etc. Could these possibly be the fish stocked a few days prior? I'm thinking maybe holdovers who survived the summer and are getting active in the cooling water? Any thoughts? -Dave

PS A wonderful 78 year old local gentleman named John gave me a couple of his hand tied CDC emergers that he was usu6ng to great success. He got me fish on when my BWO mojo ran out. We have a great flyfishing community.

Millers River Flyfisher said...

DRL,

Those bows could new or old. I'm thinking new since I didn't hear of too many good fish tales from the Nissitissit this summer.

Sounds like you had a very good day!!!!!

Ken

Anonymous said...

Loved micro shot until lead shot was banned in MA. Where do you get nonleaded micro shot?

Millers River Flyfisher said...

Anonymous 12:47

EVERYWHERE!!!! All fly shops have them and online shops too. Maybe even Walmart.

Ken

Gary said...

When I got to the EB this morning fish where rising, now usually I start with a dry on top and if nothing happens or if I have a couple of fish misses, they may be chasing bugs to the top so on goes an emerger (beadhead glass or weight,splitshot,lead wire coiled around the hook or keeled) depends on the water and what I'm trying to do. BUT on this morning I started with an emerger (glass bead,low and slow water) and had no takers, so pulled out one of my boxes and there are some black foam beetles. Using a #12, first cast, bang, on a short drift nice bow. Then about ten minutes later the beetle brought another one up and a vicious hit, best fight of the year and a legit 18" bow with october colors in the net. They are both back in the river for you to catch and of course release.

Millers River Flyfisher said...

Gary,

Good show. Any stocking trucks up there??

Ken

Gary said...

None this morning.

BobT said...

For Gary-I wouldn't be afraid to keep a few beetles and ants available until December. I have caught several up through almost Christmas on ants on the Swift and Willamantic. I have not stretched beetles that late but almost...I am not suprised given the lengthening of summer into fall now that the climate is bonking.

Anonymous said...

"EVERYWHERE!!!! All fly shops have them and online shops too." Sorry, I was thinking of really small shot like the couple of containers of lead micro shot I still have. I use the dinsmore tin in the smallest sizes but didn't consider it micro shot like the lead we had before.

Gary said...

BobT-Thank you,I will. Gary

Bill/Tully said...


MILLERS RIVER FALL TROUT STOCKING--
Join us this Friday October 4th @ 9AM, Meeting at Wendell Depot to help stock the Lower C&R Area. Bring your waders!!! With low water levels this fall we will need help to bucket some fish around to deeper areas.
We will also meet back up around 12:30PM @ the parking area at the site of the former Pete & Henry's in S. Royalston to stock the Bearsden C&R Area.
All are welcome to attend and lend a hand! Thanks

Millers River Flyfisher said...

Thank you Bill/Tully! Good luck!!

Ken

Millers River Flyfisher said...

One more note on the Millers stocking: The river is NOT being stocked by a private group but instead a private group is ASSISTING the DFW in stocking the Millers. There is a big difference. The Fall stocking of the Millers has been on the DFW calendar for a while.

Ken

Nathaniel said...

Hi Ken!
Long time reader here, and would like to pose an question regarding fish in the Swift. The last couple of times I've been out on that river I've caught several very small rainbow trout, a handful in the 4-10 inch range. I'd always been told that the stocked rainbows in the stream couldn't reproduce, so catching said fish seemed curious to me.

I don't know how true that actually is, but I also am assuming they don't stock rainbows that small. I was hoping you might have a little insight as to what's going on there. I've also got plenty of pictures of these little guys I'm happy to share.

Thanks for the wonderful fly fishing resource,
Tight Lines!

Millers River Flyfisher said...

Nathaniel,

You are right, they don't stock rainbows that small. Those are escapees from the hatchery. The greatest escape was about 10-15 years ago when THOUSANDS of 5 to 8 inch bows found their way to the Swift one December. There were CLOUDS of little fish hitting every fly thrown at them. They are not stream born fish (sadly). There have been a number of little bows in the river over the last two season, all escapees!!

Ken

Chico said...

I caught a couple small 4" bows at least 1 mile or more downstream from the hatchery. Was wondering the same thing.

Dave P said...

Maybe your blog troll was the Swift River Naked Guy?

Millers River Flyfisher said...

Chico,

It's the same thing.

Dave P,

Also the same thing, I believe.

Ken

Algyros said...

Could you tell me if you prefer to fish nymphs with split shot using a sighter or using a strike indicator? In general, what would your rig look like if you were fishing a nymph deep in fairly fast water? Finally, do you fish one or two nymphs at a time? If the latter, how would you rig your nymphs (inline, on a tag, etc.)? Thanks

Millers River Flyfisher said...

Algyros,

All of the above depending on the situation. I will use a nymph with a split shot without an indicator most of the time. I don't use sighters much. I like swinging nymphs weighted or unweighted but will use an indicator depending on the section of river I'm fishing. It all depends on the water that I'm fishing. All water has it's best approach and it changes as you work up/down the river. I seldom fish more than one nymph but if I fish two it's inline. I don't like tags. I catch a lot of fish with the above methods.

Ken