Autumn On The EB

Autumn On The EB

Sunday, October 27, 2019

Scud Season And A lost Net

'My fishing is at once an endless source of delight and an act of small rebellion because trout do not lie or cheat and cannot be bought or bribed or impressed by power" - Robert Traver






Fall and Winter mean scuds to me.  Now, I fish them during balmier weather but not with the conviction that I do when the sky is a steel gray sheet of overcast with a hint of drizzle and a temperature that is in the mid 40's and slowly sinking.  Here's why I think they produce better in the above conditions.

1. They are a REAL exoskeleton insect with that shell that screams "nourishment" to any trout that is in the area. At this time of year they become one of the larger prey items on that watery buffet table. (there is a "shell" pattern out there that incorporates a human finger nail or toe nail as the shell back and it's supposed to catch trout.  I wouldn't know but I may try to find out!!!)

2. You MUST fish this critter slowly and near the bottom.  Mid current will kill the effectiveness.  I stopped building weight into this fly and use micro shot 4 inches above the fly (tied onto a tippet tag so I don't loose too many of these guys) or no weight at all.

3. My favorite flow conditions are fairly shallow riffles such as the Bubbler Arm of the Swift, below the Pipe, below the Crib Dam and in the broad riffles below the Duck Pond. (There, you just got more information than you will find on any other blog!)

4. Size 14 and 16 do it all!

5. I don't like very bushy scuds because real scuds aren't that bushy.

6. Even in watery environments where scuds are rare the trout still take them.

Good luck with scuds!!!!!

A Lost Net

Reader Zack found a net on the Swift two days ago.  Name the location and the Brand of net via email, not in the comments section, and let me know and we will try to get it back to you.

The State of the Rivers

Everything at this time (10 am on Sunday) is perfect but we will get an inch of rain today BUT it shouldn't harm any rivers except for the Millers but even there I think we will have good water to fish. The Swift will stay the same, The EB will shoot up and then in 48 hours will be normal and the Ware will weather (sorry for the pun) the storm.

Buy your Swift River flies here!!!!!!

Ken





9 comments:

Freelon said...

Hi Speaking of lost nets,there was a net hanging by the big dead tree at Kentfield.Its opposite where Whetsone Brook empties into the river.

Millers River Flyfisher said...

Well, that makes 2 lost nets.

BTW, that's Kempfield not Kentfield.

Ken

Paul Fay said...

Hi Ken great post on scuds, in bass fishing you hear guys talk confidence baits well this is a fly one can confidently fish especially in tail water or spring creeks and know that the trout are eating them. If your not bouncing the bottom with these you might as well not even have a fly on, I've noticed fish on the swift are way more likely to pick up a nymph or even bugger when its rolling on the bottom

Millers River Flyfisher said...

Paul,

That's why I beat the drum for soft hackles. They work on the bottom and in the middle of the water column as they emerge.

Ken

Paul Fay said...

I'd challenge any one who likes fast hard strikes, much like if not more aggressive then streamer takes, to swing and lift soft hackles into rising trout, or through that run you swore had no fish!!! Also I feel connected to a long heritage when I'm swinging softies!!

Quinneyfish said...

Ken

I posted a week or so ago inquiring on what fly to use on the EB. I returned last Friday with the "rubber legs" and had an epic day, for me. 8 fish landed and several more hook ups. The flow was a little higher than before but seemed perfect to me. I went a little further down from the first pull off (I don;t know the name of the area) and had a great time until I broke off my last fly. Tried several other option from there and nothing produced. Thanks for the intel. Lots of fun

Millers River Flyfisher said...

Paul,

You are dead right!!!

Quineyfish,

Pat's Rubber Legs is a Killer on the EB. Maybe my friend Gary wil chime in on the effectiveness of this fly on that river.

Ken

Anonymous said...

Ken,

Do you ever use orange or pink when tying scuds?

TG

Millers River Flyfisher said...

TG,

Very rarely. mostly olive except when I was fishing larger patterns in Florida. They were pink like a shrimp.

Ken