Autumn On The EB

Autumn On The EB

Monday, October 7, 2019

The Painted Fly & The Swift is Stocked

"There's no such thing as a "best fly" or a "guide fly".  After the hatchery truck rolls away just about ANY fly will work and everyone is an expert.  Give it a month and you will see that presentation is King.  The well placed fly wins every time.  Remember, there are some fish hawks out there who only fish a few patterns but they catch the most fish." -Me


The Painted Brookie
I have a love/hate relationship with streamers.  Standards like the mickey finn, with it's body of yellow and red, just don't seem natural to me because they are not natural (it's an attractor). Also, the wing material be it bucktail, fixed hackle wing (becoming rare these days), or even craft fur is usually too stiff and lifeless for my taste.  That is why my freshwater (trout) streamers went over to Marabou about 30 years ago.  It's action in the water can't be beat, period!!!  But there is a problem.  Marabou comes in solid colors and not too many of them either.  I wanted to blend colors and that's where the use of sharpies come in.



The fly above has an orange dubbed body with mylar for the rib.  The wing is WHITE marabou that I colored in sections.
First, a thin bunch of white marabou is tied to the top of the hook.

Second, a thin strip of white marabou is cut and then colored with a reddish brown sharpie (hold the marabou in one hand placing the feathers on a piece of paper to color it). Then tie it to the fly.

Third, Do the same thing with a purple sharpie and then finish the fly.  I think it has some important brookie colors. A size 10 or 12 standard streamer hook will work.


Did I mention that I don't like the traditional way of fishing a streamer?  Well I don't. I like fishing streamers like a nymph - upstream and then a high stick drift downstream on a short line.  Most streamers are fished too high in the water column and too fast in the water.  Little bait fish don't swim that fast. The great Catskill legend Harry Darbee used to imitate large stonefly nymphs with a streamer called a Dark Edson Tiger.

Go figure!!!!



Rain

From today (10/7) through Friday (10/11) we can expect an inch of rain.  That inch of rain goes a lot further than an inch of rain in July because evaporation is low, temperatures are low AND the biomass (trees and such) is not sucking up all the water because the biomass is going dormant. October and November are great months to fish. Days are pleasantly cool and the weather is historically dry.

Go fish!!  Need some flies.  Look no further than here.

Ken





11 comments:

Anonymous said...

Like the proportions of your streamer. I bet it has great hooking ability. Never tried coloring marabou as I was afraid it would clump together. I do blend layers craft fur, rabbit and marabou together for wings. Your correct that presentation is KEY for all fly fishing!

Gary said...

I believe I posted on Oct 2nd and told about the tremendous fight with an 18" bow fooled on the EB. I thought it was the fish of the year on this river, but today I fooled a 20" bow on the EB (with a square tail, I have pictures) with a #14 copper john of all things. He came to the net numerous times, I had my rod over my head twice, went between my legs once,finally had to pull about a foot of leader into the guides to keep his head up and into my new net. What a fish it did make my season, stocking trucks, who needs them. August,September,and the start of October, good stuff on the Westfield.

Millers River Flyfisher said...

Anonymous 12:38,

The funny thing is the marabou does clump or stick together. I use an old tooth brush to straighten it out.

Gary,

EXCELLENT!!!!

Ken

Sam said...

Great story about the 20" fish of the year by Gary! Of course the 18"er isn't too shabby either! Makes my day to read something like that. Those holdovers get wild and I have one in mind myself that I have connected with twice and hope to again.

Sam

Millers River Flyfisher said...

Sam,

Let's hope for a low water winter where we can have an extended season and not like last year.

Ken

Gary said...

Thanks Sam, yeah what a fish,but I can still see the 18"er comin up from the bottom and grabbin that beetle, damn I love this sport. By the way I think it was you that said more fish have spit the hook on you this year than in the past. Well I have to say ditto, and because I haven't changed the types of hooks I use or anything. I really think its the well fed hefty chunks that they have thrown in this year, they have a stronger head shake. What do you think and I like it when you say I was goin to let him go any ways. Gary

Sam said...

Gary,

I agree that the DFW put some real nice rainbows in this spring and I think that has a lot to do with the long distance releases using barbless hooks. I went through a spell where every sizable fish I hooked got off. Some were on for a good while too so you would think they were hooked pretty well. Still fun to have them on so no complaints.

The latest incident was on Saturday in Bondsville, but that one has to be classified as an unforced error on my part. Out of 5X that I usually use, I tied on 6X that I rarely use and it was a couple of years old. I thought it would still be good though, but I was wrong. Twice I got broken off just below the surgeon's knot. I thought the first break off was a fluke, but the second one convinced me I had bad tippet and I have since discarded it. That second break off was a real nice brown too, right in the same zone where I hooked it a couple of weeks ago. Both times it hit a soft hackle drifted right in the zone of a little sipping rise.

Best, Sam

Unknown said...

Ken,
I was at the Swift today (10/8) and the DFW truck was present stocking rainbows and browns below Route 9. They stocked at Cady Lane and just south of the "Tree Pool." (I fished all day below the Tree Pool, so I don't know if they stocked any other areas).
Regrettably, I didn't catch any of these fish as I only caught 9-10 brookies, all eight inches or smaller, but beautiful in color. Got them all on size 20 Hares Ear/Gold beaded head and size 20 Pheasant Tail/Gold beaded head.
Best,
Tom from Boston

Millers River Flyfisher said...

Tom,

Their stocking report didn't mention browns stocked in the Swift, just rainbows. No matter. These fish will hold us through the Autumn.

Beware of poachers.

Ken

Millers River Flyfisher said...


Tom,

The stocking report for 10/8 mentioned only bows going into the Swift. Most likely an oversight.

Ken

Anonymous said...

got out to the miller's yesterday around south royalston and bearsden. came up with nothing, but moved a couple 12-16" browns. it seems the bite was much better earlier in the day - i didnt get on the water til 8:30. water was stained a bit - couldnt see any fish feeding, but some occasional rises. tried all the usual suspects - hopper dropper with various beadheads, swinging wets, dark wooly bugger. others had limited success on big prince nymphs (like size 8), caddis dries. i heard reports that on the weekend they were rising on big dries readily.

Mike Z