Autumn On The EB

Autumn On The EB

Thursday, October 24, 2019

BIG Browns On The Swift




                                          25" 6lb Brown taken on the Swift 10/22/19
                                                       Check the girth on this brute


Hi Ken,

Thought you (and your blog readers) might be interested in seeing this big brown that I got at "the Pipe" yesterday evening.  Fished up around the duck pond most of the day, headed down to the gauge parking area late afternoon.  As is usual this time of year, the pipe cleared out by 3:30 and I had the place to myself.  After getting some beautifully colored up brookies in the 10" class, and missing a couple bows, I saw a what looked like a submarine move from downstream into the feeding lane below the pipe.  To make a long story short, after a dozen fly changes and probably close to 100 casts, I finally got the take (heart jumped into my throat).  The fish made a good run - I tightened down on my drag to try to stop the fish before he got all the way down to the tree - risked breaking him off, but maybe better than getting too much line out and if the fish found the tree or another snag it would be game over anyway.  He did stop and turn and I managed to slowly work him back and cornered and netted the fish in the slack water on the hatchery side below the pipe.  No witnesses as I was the only one there - but I did get some pics (I almost never carry my Go Pro anymore, but I had some kind of premonition that I might need it yesterday - weird!).  Got the fish on a #22 orange thread midge and 6x tippet.  Probably in the top 2-3 trout I've ever caught - taped out at two-and-a-half hands, which would be close to 25" with my 10" span - I'm guessing maybe 6 lbs.  Also got a 3 lb. chunkbow in the shallow riffle below the duck pond, and a boat load of brookies.  All in all a banner day on one of the best rivers in New England!

Tight lines!

Mike from Andover


Mike, Thank you for sharing this awesome moment.  And on a #22 orange thread midge w/6x to boot!!!!  YOU DA MAN!!!

Where are the biggest browns in New England???  RIGHT HERE!!!  The are more just like it on the Swift!!!

Ken







13 comments:

Anonymous said...

Congrats on a nice fish. Didn't happen to have a size 18 Rainbow warrior stuck in his mouth
by any chance? I broke off a fish of that size about a week ago.

Falsecast said...

Mike from Andover- Congratulations! What a fish and a great story of perseverance. I have never caught a Brown near that size in the swift, but I know they are in there. Great catch. Also, that you were fishing below and not above rte 9 trampling the redds like many others :).

Millers River Flyfisher said...

Falsecast,

Thank you for reminding us of those unborn brookies. That's what counts!!!!

Ken

MDH said...

Ken,

I just want to say that any success I have on the Swift is largely due to the education your blog and the reader's comments provide. I usually don't go lower than 5x even on the Swift, but sometimes, like yesterday, going to 6x seems to make a difference. I hooked a similar big brown at the pipe last fall, but he broke me off down at the tree. Got lucky this time I guess!

Mike from Andover

Millers River Flyfisher said...

Thank you Mike!!!

Ken

Anonymous said...

Try the East Branch of the Ausable River in Wilmington NY. The place is loaded with browns that size. Nice catch especially when they take you for a walk down stream. Congrats Mike in Andover.

Sam said...

Wow, wow, wow!!!! Congratulations, Mike, on that big brown! Props for persevering in finding the fly it would finally take. What a beautiful fish and memory for you. I have read it doesn't always take a big fly to get a big brown to hit. This surely proves it. I appreciate this web site of Ken's where I can read a story like that.

Best, Sam

Millers River Flyfisher said...

Sam,

Maybe the splash you heard the other evening was a brown just like this one.

Ken

Sam said...

Maybe so, Ken. That was a hell of ruckus I saw take place the other night. Where it took place is a perfect zone for a big one to hang out in, deep hole and shallows in order to round up a smaller fish. I know I haven't caught many fallfish this year which used to be a regular occurrence.

Best, Sam

Bob O said...

Congrats Mike on persistence and reward. Ken, thanks for sharing Mike's report. I seldom see a 'guest' post on your blog. Definitely a heart thumping event, even reading of it gets me going. Thanks again.

Millers River Flyfisher said...

Bob O,

It got me going too!!!

Ken

Mark said...

I'd also like to comment on the fact that Mike is a class act. Years ago when I first got into fly fishing he helped me learn more about the Swift and also shared successful fly recipes for tying as well.

Dave P said...

What a spectacular fish! Congratulations!