Autumn On The EB

Autumn On The EB

Saturday, October 24, 2020

Autumn On The EB, Poaching On The EB And A Millers Mystery

 "Soon after I embraced the sport of angling I became convinced that I should never be able to enjoy it if I had to rely on the cooperation of the fish."  Sparse Grey Hackle


It has been a great October on the EB. Plenty of fish have been taken up and down the river on everything from the dreaded WB to Possum Nymphs to Soft Hackles and Caddis dry Flies.  The surface action has been unexpected because there is very little surface feeding to make one want to put on a dry BUT when you do.....  A small deer hair caddis just seems to bring them up.  Two clients turned me on to a western style caddis which I will work up this weekend for next week.  This fishing, if the flow stays reasonable, will last another month.  BOOK ME!

EB Poaching

I was told by a guy who, I believe, works as a contractor for Chesterfield that someone is poaching the EB. The poacher is using a 4 wheeler to get down to Les's Pool and then keeping fish. (that's what those tire tracks were leaving the road and going right down to the river).  My contact said that the guy is an older man who he believes is a local.  I mentioned this to a Chesterfield Police Officer  but really should contact the EP and I will.
                                                                             EB Rainbow


The Millers

What is going on here??  I've been fishing this river for 35 years and certainly for as long as they have been Fall stocking and I've NEVER seen this river so devoid of willing trout (or  trout for that matter.) as it is now! I know this place inside out and so do many others and all I get is the same old story = NO FISH.  I'm not blaming any high water events because we have them in the Spring and still do well. I just don't think the trout are there or at least in numbers that make a difference. This was the opinion of many concerning the West Branch of the Westfield last Spring. This gem is fun to fish and has always produced but it was empty last Spring.

It is October and we are into the final curtain for many who like to fly fish before winter sets in. Maybe the DFW forgets that popular rivers in this State have parking areas with many out of state plates.  We know that they didn't forget to stock Jamaica Pond in the Wilds of Boston this Fall!

We have a good month of good fishing with decent weather coming up. Contact me and we will get things rolling.


Ken



7 comments:

Paul Fay said...

I too have noticed my favorite spots on the millers have been quiet as well, in years past I have been able to connect with good fish when the temps start to cool off regardless of low flow and before the stocking took place. A few years back maybe getting on a decade even, drought conditions resulted in a lack of fall stocking on the quinnie I think two seasons in a row and honestly the river has not been the same since. Thank god for the squanny that stream really has remarkable holdover potential and the headwaters definitely hold native populations of brook trout. The blue lines are definitely recharged for the season and with a little research it's easy to find trout in unstocked streams

Craig A. said...

I was on the Millers last Thurs (22nd). Incredible day: warm, foliage, hatch, nice flow, great seams, NO fish. There was no indication of any fish! Drove 2 hrs but still had a great day.. especially since I had this beautiful section to myself. Did they really put fish in?

steelhead said...

Same here, I fished the Orange treatment plant all the way down to Millers falls Friday. Warm day with a good amount of insects on the surface and no trout action. 2 smallies on a streamer. Even the C&R section was barren. Very weird, especially after the state claimed they stocked it this fall.

Anonymous said...

Hit the Miller's 3 times in that last week or so.Nice fall weather and there was water in it!! Trout?Nada,zilch ,bubkes!One rainbow took a whack at my fly at Arch St.Hit the pool at Kentfield ,never saw any fish activity.Did see the biggest beaver ever(the aquatic rodent I mean).But no fish.

DGW said...

I was on the Millers last Sunday with the higher water and did manage 1 14inch rainbow swinging a small bugger on a sinktip line. The rainbow looked like a recently stocked fish to me. Hit the Swift yesterday and it was all brookies for me. They seemed to turn on around 3:30 downstream from the duck pond. Too fly was a #16 partridge and orange wet fly. Most were 8-10 inches with a couple over 12in. 2 larger fish threw the fly before I landed them. 1 was a rainbow and the other was a nice brookie.

Millers River Flyfisher said...

Ok, DFW, are you reading these comments? The Swift has been stocked, the EB has been stocked but from Orange to Millers Falls it's been slim pickings or none at all on the Millers. Why is this autumn sooooooo different from years past. Having fished this river for 35 years I think I know why!!

Ken

Anonymous said...

Ken,

Please tell us why! Enquiring minds need to know! I too have fished the Miller's 2 times in the last week with no luck.
Thank you for your great blog which many of us appreciate.