Autumn On The EB

Autumn On The EB

Saturday, October 31, 2020

Spreading Out

 "I look into my fly box and think of all the elements I should consider in choosing the perfect fly: water temperature, what stage the bugs are in, what the fish are eating right now. then I remember what a guide told me: "Ninety percent of what a trout eats is brown and fuzzy and about 5/8 of an inch long" - Allison Moir


There are two places on the Swift that attract anglers like bees to honey - The Y Pool area and the Pipe/Tree Pool. Many only fish these areas month to month and year to year and stay away from other spots.  But the other spots are  where I fish and these are the spots with unmolested fish and BIG fish to boot.  Plus you get to fish, for the most time in solitude, which is something many of us want.

I think there are some similarities  between golf and flyfishing here.  There are some golfers who visit an 18 hole course but have their minds set on say, the 5th hole, and not much else.  Why?  Well, the 5th hole is PERFECT for them. Just the right length and layout to play to their skills. They have hit great shots here but have exploded on the 6th hole.  If allowed they might want to tee of 18 times here on the 5th and forget the rest of the course. 

That's much like fishing the same old, same old, on the same river every time.  How about fishing a NEW spot on the river? If you are good at what you do you will catch trout there too. I think that we get so accustomed to a spot we find it difficult to fish a new spot.

I've seen big browns all over the river below Route 9.  Go get them and don't forget the brookies.


My Fall Flies

The Partridge and Orange is one of course. My Scud made with possum has always worked during the cold months as have Hot Spots and Swift Serendipities. Tiny flies and tiny temperatures seem to match at times. The sun will rise earlier on November 1st (Sunday) which is good for us.  The days of the evening rise are gone until late April.  We will still have good times.

Ken 








11 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yes, we will still have good times. I fished a spot today that I've ignored in the past and didn't land a trout but I saw big trout here and had a pass or two. I'll be back to work this NEW place. Side Note - I was the only one there.

Anonymous

Anonymous said...

Anonymous 2:23,

YOU GET IT. A trout from a hidden place is worth more to the angler than trout from a heavily fished section.

Ken

JonBoxboro said...

My strategy at the Swift is to just keep moving. You can start where ever you like and then keep moving. You can also try popular places like the Y-Pool but fish it from the other side of the river. The same holds true under the rte 9 bridge, try wading where the spin fishermen fish.

I love to find fish where others have just walked by.

Unknown said...

That's called fishin!

Paul Fay said...

Ken great post , fishing new waters and prospecting fish is all part of the thrill of our sport. Its great we have some places like the Y pool that offer year round action and spots like this serve their purpose but if we break out of the usual haunts we discover something new everytime

Anonymous said...

A few unmolested fish are a lot easier fool than a pool of molested ones IMHO. Take a hike!

Millers River Flyfisher said...

Anonymous 6:44,

I do "take a hike" every time I fish. I hardly ever fish the same places twice in a row and unmolested trout are my quarry, not the semi domesticated clones that the hordes chase.

Ken

Anonymous said...

A quick question: I have walked thru the Swift at the Pipe and walked down a ways until you get to a bend in the river with a lot of moss. Is that where Cady Lane is?
Is there a place to park your car at Cady Lane or do you have to walk down to it?

Thaank you

Dwight said...

I've fished the swift for almost 30 years, and 1 month ago I tried katy Lane for the first time. Down a long trail to an open area that was full of green moss and sand covered channels. Many small brookies, a couple 6 inches and then a large brown appeared against the bottom. Swung one of your partidge and orange flies at the brown, but got one of the 6 inch bookies. Good stuff

Millers River Flyfisher said...

Dwight,

It's about time (HAHA)!!! Cady Lane is a great place with lots of fish and not that many fishermen. It's the home of the BIG browns.

There is a place to park off of River Road but take the walk from the Pipe Parking area and walk down the aqueduct path to the bend in the river OR take the path from the Pipe side and go downstream. It's a nice stretch.

Ken

Dwight said...

Ok. I went further down to the pull off. I will try as you suggest Ken. Thank you!