Autumn On The EB

Autumn On The EB

Sunday, October 4, 2020

Two EB Mornings And Book Me



"I think I fish, in part, because it's an anti-social, bohemian business that, when gone about properly, puts you forever outside the mainstream culture without actually landing you in an institution" - John Gierach 

 Note October 5- LOST & REEL found on the Swift by the 2nd parking area. Contact this blog and we will start the ball rolling. - Ken
I have missed this river. It was wonderful this Spring but the summer drought brought it to its knees which, given the help of a little timely rain would have made it like most summers - skinny water that floated a fly which is all I asked for.  No such luck.

But cooling Fall weather and some timely rain AND a DFW stocking changed things for the better.

Now, I'm not saying that I fished over selective trout this past weekend.  They were rainbow stockers but being able to fish the EB with enough current to move your fly line was a pleasure as was the great scenery of the Gorge.

Saturday Morning - In the water at 7am at the Bliss Pool with a Partridge and Orange which did nothing.  Ok, let's try a black and purple WB at size 12. 18 bows came to the net and the I noticed rising fish and a few caddis.  On goes a size 14 caddis and another dozen come to the net as trout continued to rise.


I then moved up and down the river with some success but then, going out of character, switched to a size 8 Mudder Minnow. I landed another 4 bows.

Sunday Morning - We went back to the same spot as yesterday and spent 45 minutes with one bow. Friend Harvey had beat us there but said he had no hits. How could things change in 24 hours like they had.  We then noticed rising fish 30 or more feet downstream Harvey tied on a dry and we went with a caddis emerger.  All hell broke loose!! Harvey started to take fish on the surface while Jeff fished just below the surface.  We all took fish!!  Jeff got into the dry fly (caddis) action and at the end of the session  had netted 20 bows, most on dry caddis (sometimes less than dry) imitations.  Deer hair caddis emergers, half submerged in the surface worked great.



The EB is a great summer long river if it can get even an average rainfall. I've had Julys and Augusts that were fabulous even with low water but you NEED some water.  We had to wait until Fall this year but it was worth it!!!




The Swift -  It was stocked this past week with bows and browns they say.  I have not been there so I can't attest to the results. I like the idea of more browns!!!!

The Millers - Watch this river.  There's enough water here for some good fishing.  I'll keep you posted.

Ken





5 comments:

Gary said...

0n the EB at 6am caught a bunch of trout on various #14 soft hackles, most notable to me was the 1st caught using the light of the moon, I don't remember having done that before in my 56 years of fishing the Westfield River. Oh I saw no other fisherman, they were starting to come in at 9am when I was leaving. The river was moving well and the fish were feisty.

Millers River Flyfisher said...

Gary.

You said you were going to get there early! The early bird catches the worm or the trout in this case. Good work!!

Ken

Unknown said...

Great report. I should take a trip to the millers I really like that river in the fall

MDH said...

Ken,

Thanks for the heads up on the EB on your blog! Managed to get there yesterday 10-3, as per your experience wondered where the fish were and what was working until I saw a few risers. A light caddis got some interest and I managed a half dozen fish before it seemed to quiet down. I moved a bit and from a different vantage point without the glare on the water I saw a huge pod of bows near where the fish were rising earlier - maybe 30-50 fish, who knows? After that a very subtle dead drift with a #6 shot, sparkle pupa and pink SJW, and a small pinch on foam float was the ticket, probably 50/50 on the worm and the caddis. Most of the takes were very subtle - a slight hesitation of the float - but raising the rod tip would yield a racing, jumping bow. Another dozen came to the net and I don't know how many I lost - and I only saw one or two fishermen on the way in and out. Loads of fun, but I do hope those fish spread out a bit (I tried to do my part with a dozen or more long-distance releases!).

Mike from Pittsfield

Millers River Flyfisher said...

Mike,

We need rain to spread these fish!!!

Ken