Autumn On The EB

Autumn On The EB

Friday, October 2, 2020

Much Needed Rain

 "There are people in my life who sometimes worry about me when I go off into the fields and streams, not realizing that the country is a calm, gracious, forgiving place and that the real dangers are found in the civilization you have to pass through to get there." John Gierach


The Kempfield Section of the Millers


It wasn't a lot of rain but we will take it. As I write the Millers is at 72 cfs and the EB flows at 126.  It doesn't seem like much of an improvement but it really is.  It was only two weeks ago that the Millers was running at 35 cfs and the EB at 17!!! The current levels will be around for awhile because evaporation is less now than it was and the weather is cooler.  The Swift is roaring along at 126 as it has been for a  month but this  may come to an end with a another rain. Remember, as the Connecticut River goes up the Swift goes down.

The Brookies

The brook trout are beginning to color up but have not begun to school up as of yet.  I'd like to see the flow drop for that to about 60 cfs for that event because some of the traditional spawning areas actually have too much flow right now.

Favorite Brookie Flies

 The good old Partridge and Orange is ranked #1 for me. My Copper Grouse is right up there and a micro egg in sizes 16 or 18 is third.  What do these flies have in common? Lots of ORANGE!!!

A few years ago I decided to throw some streamers at those Swift browns that like to chase spawning brookies.  I tied them around 4 inches long (big for me) to tempt a large Salmo Trutta but what did I get? I got brook trout from 6 to 10 inches and lots of them.  They may be the most aggressive fish in the Swift!!

Book Me

October and November are my favorite months. The heat of summer is just a memory and real winter is two months away. The days are compressed (no more 5pm to 8pm trips) and the fishing is good.  Email me and we will get the ball rolling.

Ken






5 comments:

DRYFLYGUY said...

Ken, As I read the fall 2020 trout stocking report this morning as I usually do, since its the end of the week. It appears that they did stock the Westfield river Chesterfield just recently as stated on-line. (No, I'm not revealing secrets everyone, because its posted on the state website.)
On your blog as a previously discussion a little bit ago. It wasn't on the list for this fall stocking, probably because of the long lack of water. But because of the much needed rain which happened a few days ago, it probably swayed their previous thoughts in which for what ever reason, I welcome this change.
I can't think of a more beautiful place in Massachusetts to spend some time wetting a line while admiring the fall foliage colors then the gorge.
Tight-lines Ken and maybe I see you there....Phil

Gary said...

Maas wildlife put fish in the EB.

Millers River Flyfisher said...

DRYFLYGUY AND Gary,

As of yesterday afternoon no mention of the EB stocking. What a difference a day makes!!! And there's enough water to make it pleasurable. Thank you guys!!

Ken

Paul Fay said...

Just enough rain to give my blue lines a little refresher, this season has been all about blue lines for me. I would urge anyone to pull out a topo map and start trying spots, one can certainly find native brookies and if you can put two and two together you can also find places where the browns get themselves into! To me there is no bigger thrill than catching or observing even trout in un managed water systems

Millers River Flyfisher said...

Paul,

I agree even with some blue lines out my way becoming nothing more than shallow pools connected (sometimes) with tiny riffles. That is why catching 34 bows (hatchery dumps) this morning was a good change of pace in a river that had enough flow to move a fly line. I thought my bamboo rod would develop a "set" with those fish.

Ken