Autumn On The EB

Autumn On The EB

Wednesday, August 15, 2018

Old School Nymphing, All That Water And Book A Fall Trip

"I understand that to fit the profile of the modern fly fisherman I should be less the long-suffering sportsman-philosopher and more the conspicuous fanatic carpet bombing the river with the latest fly patterns, tackle and techniques: fishing from the same impulse that makes professional baseball players take steroids" - John Gierach



There he was at the head of a popular pool on the Farmie, about 20 feet out in the river and casting a 9 foot rod AND CATCHING TROUT! I was there to meet a fishing friend and with one eye on the road and one eye on the water I missed a few things but after a few moments I noticed the lightweight SPINNING reel attached to that limber road and that the casts were in the 20 foot range, always quartering upstream. The rod was held at a sight upward angle with his right hand and his left hand held the line out about 18 inches from the handle as his offering drifted downstream. No indicator was in sight. Bang, another fish, some quick work with forceps and the trout was released.

My curiosity got the best of me as he left the water. "What is that outfit" I asked. It was a 9 foot limber rod (not noodle rod limber), a lightweight reel spooled with 2lb flourocarbon, one tiny split shot about a foot or so above the business end which was a meal worm. All trout were hooked in the mouth and released unharmed.(Note: by holding onto the line with his left hand he was in constant contact with anything that grabbed that bug which would virtually eliminate anything swallowed).

This episode reminds me of the fellow on the Deerfield years ago who had a bobber (indicator), a large Montana nymph, a spinning rod and who also caught fish. That was crude indicator nymphing. The Farmie guy was more refined but still his technique was very simple as most nymphing is. He was doing what many "fly" fishers have done and that is to virtually eliminate the fly line and use a weighted fly to propel the long leader out into the river. I think he could of used a weighted fly and been successful too, even more successful than your average tight line fanatic.  Basically this is what we did years ago before we got bitten by the fly bug: we drifted bait with little weight with outfits that didn't come close to what that Farmie guy used. One thing I do know is that the Farmie guy didn't spend $600+ for that outfit and he can't really swing a soft hackle or present a dry with that outfit. That takes a fly rod and reel! (Neither can nymph fishers for that matter).

Turn Off The Water

Well, we asked for it. Two straight years of summertime drought left us praying for rain.  We prayed too hard!!!! As I write the Millers has leveled off at 3330 cfs!  This destroys the record for this date of 1920 cfs set in 1989 and it will not come down anytime soon. The EB is at 1890 cfs BUT if it doesn't pour in that watershed today or tonight it should drop enough (it usually drops about 300 cfs the next day after a big rain event) by the weekend to make a lot of it fishable. Tie up and use some Pat's Rubber legs with weight and when the water gets to 500 cfs go with big bushy dry flies.



The Swift

It's the only reliable game in town outside of some selected "thin blue lines". Now, the flow at the gauge says 53.7 cfs but Bondsville seems to have much more water. This makes sense since Bondsville is  4 to 5 miles downstream from the gauge and has more watershed to collect rainfall.  I know that the brookies like it!!!

One More Thing About The Swift

The Quabbin Watershed has received a lot of rain in the last few weeks and as of 8/1/18 was at about 94% capacity. Who knows where it is right now (measurements are published on the first of the month) and a lot of the recent rain still has to make it down to the "Pond". Now, in 2011 we had Hurricane Irene blow through and Quabbin overflowed just when the LL salmon began to search for spawning areas and followed the current right over the spillway into the Y Pool. We spent the Fall and Winter chasing salmon in excess of two feet long with the occasional Laker thrown in for good measure. Timing is everything for the overflow event. Too early or too late and you get nothing!!


It's hard to believe that the above salmon event was seven years ago. There is a whole new population of fly fishers who have yet to see something like that.  The photo on the left was from Nov. 28 2011 at the lower Y Pool and that big salmon was caught by a client.


Ken






8 comments:

Hibernation said...

Ken -
I have to say, I'm in the same place you seem to be, RE the swift overflow from the res... We are so close to overflow, and the weather does not really look like it wants to change up much... Which means we could hit September close to full in the res.

1 tropical storm (not that I want the damage from that) or just a tropical depression that drops several inches in a day or so in October could send the water over the top and Fall/Winter could turn amazing again.

That was a really special period a few years ago...!
Will

Millers River Flyfisher said...

Will,

Thank you again for your comment!

20 inches of rain fell on the Quabbin Watershed during the very late August 2011 storm and that did it for the overflow. A storm like that could tip the scales again. It moved the Swift to 500 cfs at the right time. It would destroy brookie spawning conditions but it could give us some big fish. I'm conflicted on this but if it happens we should change tactics and be prepared!

Ken

Anonymous said...

Beg your pardon, but with my 3wt Nymph Rod and DT flyline I can swing a team of wets, cast a dry, cast a small streamer, all by modifying the leader. To claim otherwise is ignorant. Would I choose this rod for an evening of Dry fly fishing, nope, but I'm not handicapped either.

Millers River Flyfisher said...

Anonymous 1:41,

My Swift rod is a progressive 3wt and I use a DT line also. I "modify" my leaders too and can cast everything that you do BUT I can cast dries all day long which is something that you admit to not wanting to do with your nymph stick.

Ken

Anonymous said...

Fishing is fishing and we should avoid getting too snobby about it. One of the classic British styles of trout fishing is free drifting worms. No weight no nothing. Generally done with a limber fly rod combined with a small spinning reel and mono. It's not catch and release obviously and I gave up on worms a long time ago for that reason. I have float fished for trout with a balsa bobber (or porcupine quill), split shot and mealworms (or maggots.) which is another British method. That can be catch and release if you are paying attention. British coarse fishing with bait and floats is ALL catch and release, and they use very sensitive rods for very small fish. That is what my Uncle Bob taught me when I first started fishing eons ago, and he is still having fun with it. Just as much fun as me with my fly outfit.

Peter

Anonymous said...

I caught Salmon well into the summer months on dries that year, from the bubbler all the way down to Cady. After that it seemed like they all disappeared. Jones-z

Gary said...

Wow at the Swift River 2 days in a row, Wednesday morning I got to the famous Y pool with only 3 guys in it so I snuck into a corner and fished for 4 hours in knee hi water. Fooled 2 bows with a #18 sulfur nymph,and a #14 Hi float attractor, ended up with 5 or 6 total anglers stretched across the pool. This morning I had the place to myself but no fish even after many fly changes and tippet usage. High point of the morning was Bob and Larry showing up, two great guys,good fly fishers,and very amusing,veterans of the Swift above and below rt. 9. Although I had to watch them pull out fish after fish for 3 1/2 hours while me, not so much. What were they using? 5wts. intermediate lines and streamers (I was spying) with slow figure 8 retrieves. I wouldn't have guessed that set up, a slow water pool with hundreds of fish in it and those gentleman had there act together. Please let the Westfield drain so I can go home and fish.

Millers River Flyfisher said...

Gary,

There are some fish hawks on the Swift. You met two of them!!!

Peter,

Very good comment! Thank you!

Ken