Autumn On The EB

Autumn On The EB

Friday, December 31, 2021

Happy New Year And A Resolution Or Two

 

Fishing is not an escape from life but often a deeper immersion into it. - Harry Middleton

New Years Salmon, Swift River 2018


First, I hope your 2021 was a good one and that 2022 is even better. It was a crazy year with all the high water BUT the fishing was still good.  Right now I'm tying my butt off and working on some new creations which leads me to a New Years resolution or two:

Resolution #1 - My dry flies for 2022 will be tied on light curved nymph hooks BECAUSE they represent the insect stage we encounter the most. the hook end is below the surface, the body of dubbing or thread does nothing and could be eliminated but the thorax of clipped deer hair, snowshoe fur and the same materials used for the wing keep it on the surface where it looks like an insect trapped in the surface film. Check out the fly on the previous post or the one below to see what I mean.

                                                                          Wyatt's DHE



What will I do with all those dry fly hooks??  SOFT HACKLE WETS..

Resolution #2 - My euro nymphing experiment is over and that is because I just don't like those nymphing rods. Some do, I don't. That said I am selling my 10 foot #4 weight  4 pc. Greys XF2 Streamflex rod. There's very few miles on this baby. It listed at $375.00 but a $200 offer takes it. Tube included.

 Have a great new year.

Ken

4 comments:

Dean F said...

I know it's really productive but I'm just not a fan of Euro nymphing. You see there is this Zen thing that I get from casting and the focus on getting a good drift and the focus of detecting a strike at a distance without an indicator. Dammit I like my Zen thing, a lot and even if it means I get less takes. Is that SO wrong?

Happy, Healthy and Safe New Year Sir!

Paul Fay said...

Happy new years Ken and all the readers here. 2021 ha been a year of experimentation for me both with new blue lines and techniques that have pushed me out of my comfort zone. Fewer numbers for sure but the quality of fish has been outstanding, not in size necessarily but there is something special about wild fish and this season has shown me that our state is full of secret treasures!

Unknown said...

I'd keep the Greys for swinging wet flys. Use my Greys for that more than nymphing.

Millers River Flyfisher said...

Dean,

Zen is what we do!!!

Ken