Autumn On The EB

Autumn On The EB

Wednesday, December 15, 2021

Thoughts Of The Salt

 

"Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things"- George Carlin


It happened back in the early 90's (not my age but the decade).  I had been a devoted fly flinger for trout for 25 years but then took a wrong turn after my first striper and then my first bluefish on a fly.  That led to a trout fishing hiatus that lasted about three years.  I rarely fished for trout during that time but did the long haul as a committed tide chaser.  Frankly, I loved it but frankly, it took up way to much of my non career time.  Living in central Ma I was used to driving anywhere from only 15 minutes to 30 minutes to scratch that piscatorial itch.  Trips to the coast took too long so fishing the tides were reduced to renting a place for a week at Plum Island and/or spending March in sunny Florida.  Covid killed Florida for me so hitting the salt became a rarity.


But I still miss it.  Now, as luck would have it my youngest daughter just bought a house in Hampton Falls that is a couple of double hauls away from Great Bay and all of it's tidal rivers and if I show her the basics of flyfishing she said I could use the place as a base camp. (sorry, I'm the only invitee)



What kind of saltwater flyfisher am I?  Although I've done well on boats my favorite game is walking and casting along the beach or walking/wading a tidal stream that flows through an estuary. (It's the beach bum gene kicking in).

My favorite set up is an 8wt rod with flies that imitate baitfish in the 2/0 to size 6 range although small crab patterns work well on the Ogunquit River flats (and others) as the tide just starts to roll in. (hint: the small crab pattern is nothing more than a size 8 brown and olive wooley bugger!!)  So it looks like I chase schoolies  with the light rod and small flies? Yes, when I'm wading and walking it's a good setup. When I'm on a boat I'll toss an occasional 8 inch fly.

Summer is far away but it will come and I'll be ready.

Meanwhile, back at the Swift...

It's creeping into Winter mode although Thursday (tomorrow) will have temperatures in the mid 50's which should bring out some tiny flies.  I'm still guiding!!!


Ken                The "Basin" at Plum Island, Newbury Ma.


This cove empties out to become a mud flat twice a day. When the tide comes in so do the stripers!!!!!




6 comments:

Charles said...

Great winter diversion, Ken, to think about striper fishing. I get out to the Cape about once a year for a day of casting clousers. So far, I have only caught schoolies, but the first time I netted one, I was amazed at the strength of it. Fish that swim to New England from North Carolina build up some serious muscle. No 16-inch freshwater fish of any type has ever bent my 8-wt like a schoolie. Can't imagine a keeper on a fly rod, but I can hope.
Charles

Anonymous said...

Ken,

Great looking streamers and a great Carlin quote. I'm still laughing!!!

TS

Millers River Flyfisher said...

Charles,

Stripped bass have the ocean to swim in and they develop strength. Now, don't give up on catching a bigger fish. I would catch 18 to 20 inch schoolies and have a ball doing it but one day I took my first BIG bass. It was 34 inches long and the chart said it was 17+ lbs. I've caught a few in that range since.. Love it!!!

ken

Perk said...

Striped bass and bluefish are definitely great game fish and good table fare. But if a fly fisherman wants a fish that battles even better than these two, cast for false albacore. These speedsters come close to shore beginning around Labor Day and I've caught them as late as Veteran's Day. What a fight and blistering runs! The rocky shores of Rhode Island are where I've caught most of these fish although the Cape has plenty too. They are not good to eat though but Bonita are which are sometimes mixed in with the fat Alberts.
Perk

Millers River Flyfisher said...

Perk,

You have it right! There are so many great species to fish for on the New England coast. I've gotten some recipes for false albies that state that it's how you treat them from when they are caught that dictates how they are they end up on the plate. Eat them or not they are Great Sport. I love the taste of dark fish be it blues or mackerel or albacore. We are in a great place to fish!!!

Ken

Unknown said...

Congrats on the new fishing digs. You did something right Dad! Spring to Fall salt mixed in with July and August sulphers then on to chasing Albies for Sept. and Oct. has been my main stay for 25 years. I split the difference, each one is either 35 mins or 1 hr. 20 mins from home.

Cheers!
John