Autumn On The EB

Autumn On The EB

Friday, December 3, 2021

The Hot Spot - Simple And Effective

 "Before you marry a person you should first make them use a computer with  slow internet to see who they really are." - Will Ferrell


I came up with this fly back in 2006 and then first wrote about it a year later and I'm still writing about it because it works well and it seems like every other year there's a new crop of fly flingers who have never heard of it. I wanted something small (down to size 24) but something that stood out among all the other trout food items that are lost in the drift.  It certainly does that and is one of my best Swift River flies.  It gave me a killer morning at the head of Les's Pool on the EB a few years ago during a surprise hatch (Needhami's I think) and suspended under an indicator it rules on the Bubbler Arm.

I like writing about different flies and different rivers and I am not like those that guard flies and river sections like they are State secrets. The only places that I don't talk about are native brookie streams (unstocked) and certain spawning areas because they are just too fragile to stand up to heavy angling pressure.


The Fishing

The Swift has had dependable flows so that's where to go.  The Millers (669 cfs), the EB (344 cfs) and the Ware (167 cfs) all shot up in the last 24 hours making them iffy. The Millers is too high, the EB is fishable and the Ware may be the safest of them all.

The Millers Fly Fishing Guide

This Guide has been around for years and it's the best source of fly fishing knowledge about the Millers.  BTW, it's FREE.  Just send an email requesting a copy.

Ken


3 comments:

Sam said...

Hi Ken,

What do you use for an indicator? I have tried a few and don't like any of them, except for a white wulff fly with a dry dropper rig.

Thanks, Sam

Paul Fay said...

Hot spots are a mainstay in my fly box since learning about them here on the blog, it's effective on mayfly dries as well, what has become a great searching pattern for me in wild trout streams is a poly wing mayfly in size 14 black dubbing with a gray hotspot in the middle

Millers River Flyfisher said...


Sam,

I don't use them often but when I do it's just a simple balsa ball that has a hole drilled through it with a small wooden wedge that keeps it from sliding around. I buy them at
R&R in Belchertown.

Paul,

I like the sound of that searching pattern. Gues I'll work some up.

Ken