Autumn On The EB

Autumn On The EB

Monday, December 20, 2021

Swift Serendipity Again

"Science tells us that fish respond to their prey primarily by size. During a hatch, the food is being served in one size only, so that helps.  Stream trout are drift feeders, so they have to snatch what's going past on that water borne sushi train before it's swept downstream or another trout gets to it first.  Match the size and you're more than halfway home in the fly selection process. I could almost leave it there, but that would make for a short book." - Bob Wyatt



The Swift Serendipity has been a standard Winter fly for me going back maybe 15 years.  It copies the traditional Serendipity except for two materials: I dumped the deer hair wing pad and replaced it with a short stub of white turkey flat (the turkey isn't as buoyant as deer hair so it sinks quicker) and the body has been made with kevlar  thread. ( that's about to end because I really don't think kevlar beats out regular red thread.)  Put on a head of brown dubbing and you are all set.


Now, Once Spring comes around I'll change the body to olive and change the white wing pad to slate grey which will mimic the BWO family.

Sizes are 18 through 24 for me.

As I write there are only 11 fishing days left on you 2021 license.  Go fishing!!!!!


Ken

p.s. The Flyfishing Guide To The Millers River makes a great stocking stuffer because it's stuffed with pages and photos and REAL advice on the Millers AND IT'S FREE. Same day delivery via email.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey Ken -

How do you usually fish these? Do you use an indicator? are you using them as a tag / trailer fly? Do you use split shot?

I have had success using tiny midges like this as trailers but to streamers or trailers to beadhead nymphs etc but am interested in what your usual strategies are.

Thanks!

Millers River Flyfisher said...

Andrew,

I've always (almost) used them in fast water with a micro shot. Hardly ever with an indicator but that should work (I don't like indicators). 90% of the time it is a single fly rig although I've rigged them with hot spots and the tag/trailer didn't matter. Just remember that with the colder winter water the action will be slower regardless of the fly that you choose.

Ken

mike said...

I'm not a fan of micro shot, so I tried a Serendipity tied with a single underlying wrap of tungsten thread, and then went over that with red 14/0 for the thread body. So far, the experiment works. It's a great pattern; I had forgotten all about it until one of your posts a couple of years ago brought it back into focus for me.

Millers River Flyfisher said...

Mike,

Always experiment!!!!

Ken