Autumn On The EB

Autumn On The EB

Tuesday, December 28, 2021

Minimalist Dry

 In the early seventies, Idaho guide Bill Cowan used a similar, if even more minimalist, fly called the Hank of Hair - no body, just a deer hair wing with the butts clipped into a sort of thorax.  It appeared in a 1971 issue of Flyfisher Magazine but never caught on for some reason.  I expect it was just too simple for commercial fly tiers to take seriously or most fly shop customers to shell out good money for. - Bob Wyatt



I'm a fool for simple, minimalist flies.  Less is always better and this fly is a good example of that belief.  It first worked when I tried it out last Summer and it will be a mainstay in my fly box going forward.

The above fly is tied on a #16 curved emerger hook. The body is nothing more than one layer of thread (I don't think you even need that).  Use fine deer hair for the wing and clip the butt ends down close.  It is the fly's  thorax.  

You can make it size 20 or smaller by using snowshoe fur instead of deer hair.

Time to get your 2022 license  and then book me!!!!!


Ken

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Most fly fishers paying for flies would overlook this pattern kinda like that old hamburger ad "where's the beef?".

Millers River Flyfisher said...

Anonymous,

Are you right?? Yes you are!!!

Ken

Paul Fay said...

I like flies like this because one can use it to imitate caddis or mayfly emergence. Like I always say give it a nice presentation and let the trout decide what it is

Millers River Flyfisher said...

Paul,

Well said!!

Ken

Anonymous said...

Ya I've been fly fishing for a few years and it seems like small solid colored dries have seemed to do the trick. and I strike out whenever I try to go fancy

mike said...

It makes me wonder just how much the visible curved shank of the hook plays into everything. I mean, the deer hair wing is above the surface; the only thing that might trigger a response is either the hook itself, or a vague silhouette of the wing, outlined against the sky, riding in the film.

Christchurch Helicopters said...

Hello, Nice post, I wish to say that this article is awesome, great written and include almost all important info. I like to look more posts like this. Please visit my website Christchurchhelicopters.co.nz. Best Christchurch To Mt Cook service provider.

Millers River Flyfisher said...

Mike,

I think the wing/thorax profile is what gets them.

Ken