Autumn On The EB

Autumn On The EB

Sunday, December 5, 2021

Pinheads All Year Round

 

"They said, don't give up on your dreams. So I went back to sleep."  Unknown



I love this fly because it is a great imitation of a black fly larva.  How important is the black fly larvae? VERY IMPORTANT especially on a tailwater stream. I've always thought of black flies as being a creature of swamps and muck holes but this little critter likes fast running water with good oxygen. I remember as a kid I used to try to catch these bugs from a fast, shallow outflow of a warm water pond.  They clung to rocks and clay deposits by the millions (well, not that many) and never seemed to be in short supply.


The Pipe on the Swift is loaded with them as is the Bubbler Arm.  Both of these locations have produced 20 fish days using, you guessed it, a Pinhead.  (P.S. - don't forget Bondsville.)

The Fishing

It's funny how the rainbows of the Swift like to pull a disappearing act after appearing to be in the millions the previous day. Great action one day and a yawner the next.  I'd trade all of them in for half as many browns!!!


Ken



6 comments:

Paul Fay said...

Yes trade them all for browns, I know it's covered in red tape but I would love to see Mass stock rainbows in our states ponds and put Brook and brown trout in our streams and rivers, it seems like most of the hook and cook guys fish still water anyways. I think less rainbows in the Swift at least could give the browns a foot hold and perhaps some more successful spawning

Millers River Flyfisher said...

Paul Fay,

I addition rainbows have a bad record of surviving through the Summer in many of our freestone streams. I've been with the DFW when we sampled the Millers years ago in September and the only trout we found were browns. We seldom caught bows in the Squannie after July 4th. Always browns.

Ken

Paul Fay said...

Yes Ken squanny is just suited well for the browns plenty of cool seeps and deep log jams. Speaking of the squannacook two things come to mind. one is a killer spot to fish those pinheads right below Townsend harbor and the second is the area below the dam in Shirley, I'm not sure if this section is stocked or not but I have caught some decent sized brookies down there as well as small mouth in the 3 lbs plus range, I have even seen brook trout trying to jump up the dam there and almost making it to the top really cool sight and that was in July as well

Millers River Flyfisher said...

Paul,

I used to have good midge fishing below the dam at Townsend Harbor in the late fall and early Winter. Now, the lower Squanny, below Hollingsworth and Vose was never stocked but it is now. I've never fished there but it screams of brown trout!!!

Ken

Unknown said...

What material makes the head of your pinhead? Thanks!

Millers River Flyfisher said...

Peacock of course!

Ken