Autumn On The EB

Autumn On The EB

Wednesday, December 1, 2021

 

"If I'm not going to catch anything , then I'd rather not catch anything on flies" - Bob Lawless

 












Color is not the most important element in the creation of the artificial fly. Size and profile are first and second and color is third. This is easily understood when you go to pick out some olive dubbing.  Many of these shades of dubbing are very different in shade and hue even though they may all call themselves "light olive" or "sulphur" or whatever.  Frankly, it's almost impossible to duplicate an aquatic insects color  with fur or plastic.

But one color seems to stand out and get the trout's attention. and that is "shell pink" I use it on scuds and on soft hackle bodies and the time of year that it works best for me is from early May through July when March browns and sulphurs/cahills rule the rivers.

It's an easy fly to tie and it's a big fly to be fished on big rivers.

Hook - Saber dry fly or curved nymph, size 12 or 14

Body - UTC Ultra Thread #140

Thorax - Rabbit 

Hackle - Partridge


Fishing Now

The brookies on the Swift are starting to thin out but they are still there.  Best to fish spots that have not seen a million flies.

The Rainbow fishing has been good on the Swift but I'm thinking that a trip to the EB may be worthwhile (178 CFS).  The Millers is still slogging away at 600 cfs.

Ken

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ken, When I zoom in on your photos, the body on each does not appear to "dubbing but rather some type of wrapped material, Is that correct? Also what manufacturer do you use, there are several that offer dubbing titled shell pink which range anywhere from hot pink to flesh tone.

Anonymous said...

PINK!!?? Gonna try it!

Sam said...

Ken,

Quit work a bit early to fish the last hour of daylight. I look forward to retiring when I can fish to my heart's content. That hour though was pretty darned good. Rigged with an egg pattern known as sucker spawn I tied last night, and a caddis emerger pattern on a dropper 16 or so inches above, and small split shot in between the two flies. One nice brown hit the egg, the other hit the caddis dropper, not sure what the one that got away hit, I think the egg though. The one that got away was by far the biggest...Haha!

Best, Sam

Millers River Flyfisher said...

Anonymous,

Most of the fly photos that I publish are of soft hackled flies and I NEVER use fur or other dubbing on them. I use thread in the color that I want and the thread is almost always nylon polyester. For general trout flies (sizes 10 through 14) I use Coats and Clark polyester a lot. It's sold at Walmart and one of the best fly tyers that I know uses it. It works great and is inexpensive.

Sam,

Good work!!!!

Ken